Here’s a recipe for a delicious and simple tomato-based pasta sauce that you can easily make at home:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional, for a spicier sauce)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, grated carrot, and chopped celery to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flakes (if using), sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and let the sauce cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken as it cooks.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings as needed. If you prefer a smoother sauce, you can use an immersion blender or a regular blender to blend the sauce to your desired consistency (be cautious when blending hot liquids).
- Stir in the chopped fresh basil and, if desired, the grated Parmesan cheese. Serve the sauce over your favorite cooked pasta and enjoy!
Feel free to add in other ingredients like olives, capers, or cooked ground meat (like beef, pork, or sausage) for added flavour and texture.